A Civil marriage is a marriage performed, recorded, and recognized by a government official.It is a wedding that takes place without any religious affiliation and meets the legal requirements of the locale.
Before to get married, the future spouses must submit the banns (more information*).
If the spouses do not live in “Comune di Pisa”, they have to submit the proxy document (in Italy called ATTO DI DELEGA) which authorizes to the celebration given by the “Ufficio di Stato Civile” where the spouses ask for the banns.
Shown below, more information about the locations of “Comune di Pisa”:
*Banns of Matrimony for foreign citizens.
1) The foreigner citizens who do not live in Italy who want to marry in the country do not need the banns. However, they have to give to the “Ufficiale di Stato Civile” of the district where they want to marry (at least a day before the wedding, making an appointment) a declaration that guarantees the lack of impediments to the marriage (art. 85, 86, 87 e 88 del Codice civile). Both the declaration and the identity card of the spouses and witnesses must be sending to the following e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org eight days before the wedding.
2) The foreigner citizens who legally lives in Italy, or a foreigner citizen who marry an Italian citizen, need the banns if they want to marry in Italy.
Documents to be submitted for the marriage:
- A valid Identity Card or Passport.
- Certificate of no impediment to marriage (in Italy called NULLA OSTA) issued by the foreign Consulate or Embassy in Italy.
The Consul or Ambassador’s signature on the NULLA OSTA must be legalized in any “Prefettura” (Pisa – Piazza Mazzini). For the legalization it is necessary a Tax Italian Stamp of 16, 00 € (in Italy called MARCA DA BOLLO).
If you come from Austria, Cyprus, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Holland, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Turkey you do not need any legalization.
P.S: In any case, we suggest contacting the competent Consulate or Embassy to know which documents have to be submitted.
For the celebration:
- Two witnesses with their Identity card.
- The choice of property regime
P.S: Documents must be in Italian; otherwise, it must be translated by the competent foreign consulate in Italy or by a sworn translator.
The foreigner citizen who does not perfectly speak Italian must be tended by an interpreter in every step.